Saturday, March 21, 2009

Rafflesians Unite


The experience of being a Rafflesian is one that often shapes an individual into their fullest potential, but the beauty lies in the fact that it does not conform to any fixed mold. That is the reason why Rafflesians constantly excel in their various fields, from academic pursuits to sporting achievements. Being in Raffles Institution meant you were free to pursue any interest you were passionate in, and were given the proper training and resources to pursue it with excellence. It was during my days at RI that I developed my passion for adventure, for always taking the path less travelled, and I am filled with pride to have the Rafflesian community's support in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.

Yee Onn and I were both deeply affected by our education at RI, and in more ways than one it is the Rafflesian Spirit that continues to drive us to sail for charity. Yee Onn has always been passionate about community service, and contributed much to the less privileged via his participation in the Interact Club. He continues to do so, helping out with Project Lokun, a medical initiative to benefit the villagers of Cambodia, providing free healthcare service through a mobile clinic.

On the other hand, I have always been a keen and curious adventurer. My friends and I were always restless, looking for ways to break into the clock tower to see if stories about it being haunted were true. Even when I was at Raffles Junior College, I never lost the spirit of adventure, spending hours exploring the vast underground tunnels of the old RJC campus and going on kayaking expeditions with the scouts.

Although we did not know each other well during our days in RI, it is interesting how our common identity as Rafflesians now propel us to represent Singapore in the Clipper Race, and we will definitely be doing our best for the team. It is only natural that as Rafflesians we continue to give back to the community, and we are proud to have adopted a charity to sail for.

I would like to thank Mr. Magendiran, Deputy Headmaster of RI, Mrs Lim Lai Cheng, Principal of RI for allowing me the opportunity to speak to the students and their support. In addition, I would like to thank the RI prefects for their extremely encouraging and well-designed support banner. Lastly, I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to the teachers and students of RI for giving generously to support us in our cause. Knowing that the Rafflesian community is behind us will definitely help us tide through the challenging moments as we sail across the pacific.